This is me.

This is splorp.

Post.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 Link / Comments (44)

Veering away.

January, 1989

Twenty years ago, I began what could be considered “my career”. I didn’t think of it as occupational choice at the time … it was supposed to be a simple, six month contract position. An interesting second job that would help me pay the rent, save for an upcoming wedding in the fall, and feed a voracious appetite for late 80s import vinyl.

Every weekday afternoon, I would check out of my day job as a high school instructional assistant and head off to work a 4:00 pm to midnight shift, digitizing typefaces for a young, snappy company called Image Club Graphics. Image Club was founded the year the Macintosh was released and grew up alongside the “desktop publishing revolution” thing. Now I was building type into the night in a room full of brand new Mac II boxes. And taking home another paycheque.

This might just go somewhere.

January, 2002

Seven years ago, a group of friends and I started talking about a project we’d like to tackle. It was code named “Groundhog”, with an obvious nod to the Bill Murray flick. Our idea was to focus on the gap that formed in the creative industry after Getty Images finally shuttered operations of EyeWire here in Calgary, and then left the carcass out to dry and shrivel for months on end.

Groundhog became Veer.

January, 2009

This Friday will be my last day at Veer.

It wasn’t a decision that was made in haste or out of frustration. I’d been mulling it over for months. The time I’ve spent helping build Veer into something cool has been equally exciting, edifying, and — at times — thoroughly exasperating. The people I’ve worked with over the past few years have made me laugh, asked questions that needed to be asked, forced me out of my box, and encouraged me to keep learning. It’s been a blast, but still … it’s time for a change.

So, what’s next?

I have no idea. Ask me again in a few months.

Comments.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:48:00 PM Link

Anonymous Stephen says:

Best of luck, Grant. I've known you for only a short time but I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to know and work with you. I'm sure you'll be kicking around... and there happen to be a few pubs nearby.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:51:00 PM Link

Anonymous Jeff Smith says:

Change is always good, especially when it means more time with family and effectively less work-induced stress.

All the best with whatever you may find yourself tackling next.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:57:00 PM Link

OpenID wevah says:

Good luck!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:12:00 PM Link

Anonymous Issa Breibish says:

F***k. Eloquent, I know. Update your about page. Until the next big thing. That's small. And fun.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:13:00 PM Link

Anonymous Tyler says:

Wow. Good luck.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:42:00 PM Link

OpenID damclean says:

Congratulations! Good luck with your next evolution.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:02:00 PM Link

OpenID justG says:

That is fantastic and frightening, hopefully more the former than the latter. Congratulations and good luck!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:10:00 PM Link

Anonymous Cameron Moll says:

Wow. Wow. Stealing Joe Pemberton's words, Veer won't be the same without you. But at the same time, it will be, given all you've put into it. Congrats on whatever's next.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:13:00 PM Link

Anonymous Morgan Aldridge says:

Best wishes. Enjoy your new plethora of time for family & fun.

I look forward to hearing where you might be heading from here.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:38:00 PM Link

Anonymous Grant Cummings says:

Good luck to you Grant! As another "Grant who owns a whippet," I've enjoyed following your blog, have found a lot of cool things at Veer b/c of you and have become a Mac switcher partially because of your Newton love! I'm sure you'll find the next chapter of your life rewarding and exciting! Change is always hard, but the best things most always are!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:53:00 PM Link

Anonymous Scott Boms says:

Stop the presses! Say what?

Congrats to you! Those will be some big shoes to fill and I for one can't wait to see what kind of trouble you get yourself into next ;-)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:55:00 PM Link

Anonymous Lucien W. Dupont says:

Congratulations to you! I look forward to hearing about your relaxing days ahead.. and seeing more great pictures!!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:38:00 AM Link

Anonymous Zeldman says:

Good God. Good luck. You're a good man and will continue to do great things. Happy for you. But stunned. Wow.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:18:00 AM Link

Blogger dave says:

Good for you, sir. I have to say: Veer sent me some of the best photo and type samples. I loved the "secret membership" campaign you guys did a few years ago, with the Masons-style instruction booklet. That was a hoot. Good luck with whatever is next.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:36:00 PM Link

Anonymous Dan Sauve says:

Good luck, Grant! We only grabbed drinks a few times at Web Directions, but I certainly hope that to run into you again sometime. Hopefully this change means more family time for you, as well as more time (and sharing stories) about all of your old toys. :)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:38:00 PM Link

Anonymous Naz Hamid says:

Grant - late to the party but cheers to you. I think this is a good thing.

This says it all really:

"Less work. More family. Less commuting. More walking the dog. Less time spent cooped up in windowless meeting rooms. More time sipping dark roast on the patio with my wife."

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:56:00 PM Link

Anonymous Mark Hamilton says:

i'm proud of you, even though you're WAAAAAY older.

(and in case you'd forgotten, i use all-caps when i'm yelling).

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:36:00 PM Link

Anonymous Tyler Young says:

To part ways with Veer now must have been a hard decision to make, but it seems to me, there must have been a feeling of having accomplished your goals with Veer, that in my mind, makes the venture not just a business success, but a personal success. Having Mean Tangerine become part of the Veer family is something I am proud of to this day. Looking forward to whatever you pull out of the hat next!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:55:00 PM Link

OpenID jcroft says:

Congrats and good luck, Grant. Thanks so much for all you've done for the creative community. Whatever you do next, I have no doubt it will be amazing. Until then, enjoy your personal life!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:59:00 PM Link

Anonymous Riccardo Mori says:

I'm stunned to hear this, Grant. But I think I understand. All the best for whatever it's coming. Veer's orange looks a little paler now...

Cheers,
Rick

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:54:00 PM Link

Anonymous Andrew says:

Woah. Good luck with whatever you end up doing next.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:10:00 PM Link

Anonymous dvsjr says:

Best of luck. Health and happiness, please stay in touch.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:35:00 PM Link

Anonymous Tom Watson says:

Congratulations and good luck, Grant. It definitely sounds like it's for the best. Still planning on coming to SXSW?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:03:00 PM Link

Anonymous Liz Danzico says:

Congratulations to you! Best wishes for future Groundhogs and other inspirations.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:41:00 PM Link

Anonymous Regis Frey says:

I love Veer. The service has an incredibly positive feel to it. I get the sense that you greatly contributed to that tone. Best of luck in your further ventures.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:11:00 PM Link

Blogger Grant Hutchinson says:

Flabbergasted. I think that’s about where I’m at right now. A heartfelt thanks to everyone that has taken the time to leave a comment or send a message regarding my directional adjustment. I’ve had the privilege of meeting — and even working — with many of you over. Some of the names here belong to folks that I’ve had the pleasure of knowing and interacting with since I started blogging nearly nine years ago. Others I recognize as recent fans of Veer. Thanks again. It’s been quite the trip so far and I appreciate having the company along for the ride.

Now, let’s see where else we can go.

Who calls shotgun?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:01:00 AM Link

Anonymous Anders says:

Shotgun! Any stagecoach, any time.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:24:00 AM Link

Anonymous Brian Warren says:

Grant, I raise my mug northward and give you a hearty congratulations. Change is in the air! I'm excited for whatever lies ahead for you. It's going to be awesome. Welcome back to the indies!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:17:00 PM Link

Anonymous Corey Holms says:

Wow - I don't even know what to say.
I'd wish you luck, but you have a pretty good track record of not needing it.
Instead I'll just say congratulations.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:09:00 PM Link

Anonymous Silas says:

You're still coming to TypeCon in ATL, right?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:15:00 PM Link

Anonymous Brian Burke says:

I've been waiting for the shotgun seat for 22 years! Best of luck with the next part of your life.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:18:00 PM Link

Anonymous sheri hayes says:

WTF?!
Congrats, and the best of luck Grant!
:o)

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:10:00 PM Link

Anonymous Chris Lozos says:

Nothing beat a loving family and bold coffee. Enjoy it!!!!

Chris

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:02:00 PM Link

Anonymous PastaYoYo says:

Hey Grant... the only thing that surpasses your incredible talent is your heart. I'm sure there was a bit of a Sniff and The Tears... Maybe a bit of The Cry and maybe some Tears for Fears... But hey, maybe you'll have time to take a Roman Holiday, or volunteer on the Style Council. Just don't get Hyperactive. Enjoy the mornings of Black Coffee in Bed.... Great timing too... After your first full weekend off, it's GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!! :-)

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:35:00 PM Link

Anonymous Calvin Glenn says:

Grant, thanks for helping me get my budding type foundry (NIMX) off the ground, back in the Image Club days. Without you letting ride the coattails of an already successful business, I wouldn't have gotten very far. So, get some rest, and get back to work soon. We're waiting for your next success...

Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:50:00 PM Link

Anonymous Anonymous says:

Best of luck to you. I've always appreciated your sound advice and encouragement.
Change is good though.
Stephen Rapp

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:49:00 AM Link

Anonymous Rene Verkaart says:

All the best of luck to you Grant. I think it's a great decision and I wish I could to the same here...

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:57:00 AM Link

Anonymous Marcus Leis Allion says:

Good luck with the veering.

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:40:00 AM Link

Anonymous Dabitch says:

Best of luck in all your future projects. It will all be for the better, you've done a great job which had a worldwide impact and frankly deserve to stop and smell the dark roast on the patio with your wife. Kudos!

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:55:00 AM Link

Anonymous Daniel Schutzsmith says:

best of luck Grant! you've accomplished so much and now it sounds like its a good time to kick back and enjoy all that you've made. cheers to you!

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:29:00 PM Link

Anonymous Anonymous says:

Does this finally mean that we will have lunch and get caught up on old times. I'm looking forward to the new Grant.
All the best
Cheers,
Robert Hilton

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:09:00 PM Link

Anonymous Ruz Safai says:

Keep your flickr photos coming, one of my favorite places for creative photography inspiration. Take a well deserved break, and best of luck in what's to come.

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:07:00 PM Link

Anonymous Brad Zumwalt says:

Grant...these comments are a great testament to authentic and honest way you have operated over two decades. It has been such a privilege to work alongside rare talent like yours. To your family, your health and your future, cheers!

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:37:00 PM Link

Anonymous Teri Hutchinson says:

I, being the aformentioned wife, cannot wait for that first dark roast on the patio, even if we are surrounded by snow drifts. I promise I'll only hide him away for awhile - when I'm tired of having Grant around, I will send him back out there. Thanks to all for being so supportive! And Grant, I love you lots!

Say it.